This post has been read 47 times!
This petition comes from Kairos Palestine and its partner movements, Global Kairos for Justice.
In December 2018—inspired by the Kairos Palestine document and representing a broad spectrum of organizations, faith communities and other groups—people from around the world gathered in Bethlehem Palestine to further the Kairos call for an end to the State of Israel’s oppression of the Palestinian people and its occupation of Palestinian territories. With love as its logic, the call is grounded in nonviolent resistance to oppression and violations of human rights.
May 15 marks the anniversary of the Nakba. In this petition, Global Kairos for Justice, a partner of Kairos Palestine, asks to the world to support its call to action, to sign the petition and to be partners in local and regional events on or around May 15, 2019. As the prophet Isaiah wrote, “Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed.” (Isaiah 1:17)
Declaring as unjust and illegal the occupation policies and practices of the State of Israel over seven decades, including…
• Creating over 700,000 Palestinian refugees in the Nakba (catastrophe), who were forced from their homes and villages in 1948-1949 when the State of Israel was established on 78% of historical Palestine;
• Occupying the remaining 22% of Palestine in 1967, in contravention of UN Council Resolution 242 which emphasizes the “inadmissibility of the acquiring of territory by war”;
• Imposing in Palestine military rule and segregation, including an unjust system of military law, a network of Israeli settler-only roads and checkpoints that restrict Palestinian freedom of movement and trade, and a separation wall judged by the International Court of Justice in 2004 as “a breach of international law”;
• Settling its populations into illegal Israeli settlements on Palestinian land.This is in breach of the Geneva Conventions and has been consistently condemned by the international community and non-governmental organizations;
• Control of the airspace, territorial waters and land borders of Gaza, and restricting movement in and out of the territory, creating an urgent humanitarian crisis widely criticized by humanitarian organizations;
• Adopting the discriminatory July 2018 Nation State Law passed by Israel’s governing body, stipulating that Jewish people have a unique right to national self-determination not afforded other citizens of the state, elevating Hebrew above Arabic as Israel’s official language, unilaterally claiming Jerusalem as the “complete and united capital of Israel,” and endorsing “development of Jewish settlements as a national value.”
I (We), [a] member(s) of global civil society, call on the State of Israel to:
• End the occupation of Palestine immediately;
• Restore the full and equal rights of and end discrimination against Palestinian citizens living in Israel and between all inhabitants of the Land;
• Respect the right of return of Palestinian refugees.
Furthermore, we call on all countries to:
• Abide by their obligations under international law regarding the rights of the Palestinian people, as stipulated under the Geneva Conventions, and to provide the necessary protection afforded to them under international law from the daily violence imposed on them.
(Link to read and sign the petition)